Building my DSTD - Part 3!

August 18, 2016



Increasing the realism of my MIP!

At the very bottom there is my slider gallery with all pictures of this report for full screen presentation!

Little parts, but a great effect!

To make all the panels on the MIP looking closer to the real thing, I looked for some washers in my local hardware store. Luckily I was able to find the desired parts.

It was a painful job to paint all the washers manually, but finally I had them looking like I want them to appear on the MIP!

I did this for the panel washers and some DZUS replicas I happened to have at home (what an amazing coincidence ;-)

As you can see the parts looks pretty much closer now.

Gear lever panel

Well, this is not really Jumbo style. Mainly B 777 - but I like it nevertheless!

As I did not want the panel cutout for the gear lever appear open, I built a blind of black cardboard as cover.

The main blind covers the complete cutout of the panel. In this blind there is another cutout to allow the gear lever to move up and down. The main blind itself is glued to the MIP. Behind this blind there is another moving blind. It consists of two parts that are glued together after their placement around the gear lever.

It's not only an eye catcher; it's a dust cover as well!

Parts of the blinds ...

... finally installed!     Left = original,     middle = main blind,     right = all blinds done!

Little plus sign on panels

Another feature I added to my panels is the typically plus sign for the pilot to tap in case of power contact troubles!

Luckily I found the SENO transfer symbols for PCBs in the Conrad online store.

  Here's a link if you are interested in as well: Conrad

I think the result is not that bad.

RMIs for CPT and FO side!

Cutouts, bezels and more ...

I like the B 747-400 MIP with the 'old fashioned' RMIs left and right! As mentioned in my last report I purchased two 7" Display sets for the Chronometers from Pollin.

  Here's the link: Pollin  (German site!)

As the displays are large enough to support a second instrument, I decided to modify the panels. I cut out the panels with a coping saw. After some sanding both panels were ready to mount the RMI bezels. Luckily I had some spare bezels at home!

Cutouts done, first test with the self made placards!

Placards cut, looking good!

RMI knobs and the chronometer

I found a company named ACVdesign. This company offers B 737 RMI knobs. Exactly what I needed. I ordered two pair of them. They were so kind and modified the knobs and added a set screw!

  Here's the link: ACVdesign

The only thing I had to do is to paint the arrows in red and green according to the needles of the RMI!

Finally I mounted two micro switches behind the panel, and build my own switch. Yes, there are micro switches out there, but mostly they are too large, or one must order 100 items ...

Micro switches with plexi pusher and 3mm screw for switching mechanism!

Done! Looks like the real thing and works great!


To make the clock work with all the four push-buttons, I added some micro switches I had at home. I super glued the ordinary black pins and some washers to the micro switch. This has been necessary to make the black pins stick out of the front panel. Finally the switch itself was super glued to the clock bezel from behind. At last the white pushbuttons are plugged onto the self made switches. Done!


Wiring and displays!

Lot of wires ...

... of different colors are used to connect all the knobs, buttons etc. to SimStack later on.

As you can see, I took care of correct dismantling as well as correct mounting of the cable relief. I used lot of shrink-on tubes to avoid short circuits!

Very important: describe all the cables with labels ... otherwise you'll be lost.

Panel fully wired and tested with a voltmeter!

Displays for PFD & ND!

I purchased lot of different Computer displays. I have been fortunate to find displays which could be taken apart without any damage, and which fits exactly behind the MIP!

For the PFD / ND of CPT and FO I used following displays:

BenQ G900HD

  18,5”
  1366 x 768
  VGA

To avoid dust I used some adhesive draught excluder for doors / windows.

Perfect fit!

Details how I keep the monitor in place and the cable relief!

Display for upper EICAS!

This display is normally used as a second display for devices with USB ports only. It fits exactly in place for the upper EICAS and the standby instruments!

Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421

  14"
  1366 x 768
  USB

Master Caution and Warning

While waiting for the next displays to be delivered, I soldered the cables for the Master Warning / Caution buttons and the glare wings!

PFD / ND and upper EICAS displays installed. Of course the cable looms need to be put in place - still a work in progress ...!

Clocks and RMIs!

Meanwhile my little displays from Pollin arrived! I build a bracket using aluminum profile. Some old PC brackets were used to hold the displays in place.

  Here's the link to Pollin  (German site!)

For the Clocks / RMIs I used following displays:

LS-7

  7”
  600 x 1280
  HDMI

One bracket is used to hold the display ...

... the second for the PCB!

All displays installed!

PC setup and first power on!

Barebone PCs for my displays!

Three SHUTTLE Barebone XPC XS35V4 Celeron J1900 PCs are used to drive all my displays!

120 GB SSD HD and 8 GB RAM were installed. Win 10 64 Bit is used as OS!

  Learn more about the SHUTTLE Barebone PC XS35V4

Of course PSX is installed as well and brings the MIP alive!

Installing SSD HD and RAM!

Power on ... and now let the pictures talk for themselves!

Enjoy my gallery!

bootstrap slider by WOWSlider.com v8.7